A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- 22nd April – 1st May 2017 – 81st Edition of the International Handicrafts Trade Fair
- 21 APRIL – 25 APRIL 2017 – Florence
- 16th of April 2017 – On Easter Sunday – The “Explosion of the Cart”
- 9th April 2017 – XXXIV HALF MARATHON FIRENZE Vivicittà
- The Florence Korea Film Festival – March 23rd – 31st – Festival of Korean Cinema in Italy