A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- From September 29th to 30th the Wired Next Fest comes back to Florence
- “Steve McCurry, icons” – Villa Bardini – Florence
- Ferragosto 2018, museums open in Florence
- 5 August 2018 – Free visits to the Museums and to the state archeological areas
- On July 17th, the Musart Festival returns to Piazza della Santissima Annunziata