A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: Until August 20th Concerts in the Loggia dei Lanzi
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: Apriti Cinema – free movies shown in the Uffizi square
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: 24th of June 2019 – the “Fochi” (fireworks) of San Giovanni
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: 2 June 2019 – free entrance to museums for the first Sunday of the month
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: Saturday 18th May evening admission to the museums for free