A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: Saturday 18th May evening admission to the museums for free
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: DISCOUNTS AT THE SANTA MONACA HOSTEL FOR ALL OF 2019
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: Lo Scoppio del Carro
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: Piazzale Michelangelo: the Gelato Festival is back
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: Sunday, March 24, 2019 – Free admission to the Uffizi, Boboli and Pitti Palace