A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- 19th May 2018 – European Museum Night – nightly revenue at 1 euro
- DJ Ten – May 13th in Florence
- May 6th, 2018 – Free entry to the civic museums for the Metropolitan Sunday
- From Saturday 21st April to Tuesday 1st May 2018 – from 10:00 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Fortezza Da Basso – Florence
- Gelato Festival 2018 at the Piazzale Michelangelo from 20th to 22nd of April