A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- November 13th, 2018 – Free concert dedicated to Rossini in the Basilica of Santa Croce
- Sunday 4 November 2018 – Free museums
- Halloween Run in Florence on October 31, 2018
- In Florence the Balloon Festival 2018 returns to the Visarno Hippodrome until October 21st
- The International Ceramics Fair from 6th to 7th October 2018 – Florence – Piazza Santissima Annunziata