A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- Santa Monaca Hostel – New look for 2019
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: New Year 2019: the “Concertone at Piazzale Michelangelo” with Renga and Baby K
- SANTA MONACA HOSTEL ADVISES: Florence Light Festival 2018 – the festival that illuminates Christmas in Florence
- Santa Monaca Hostel advises: the Weihnachtsmarkt Christmas market from November 28th in Piazza Santa Croce in Florence
- Hostel Santa Monaca advises: November 25th – Florence Marathon 2018