A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- Fortezza Antiquaria – Vittorio Veneto square – Florence 18 -19 November 2017
- Sunday 5th November – Free Museums in Florence
- HOT AIR BALLOON FESTIVAL- Florence- 28th-29th October & 4th-5th November 2017
- 58 Festival dei Popoli – Florence October 10th – 17th, 2017
- Sunday 1st October – Free museums in Florence