A major event in Florence, the Scoppio del Carro, or the “explosion of the cart”, dates back almost 400 years. An elaborate wagon built in 1622 and standing two to three stories high is dragged through Florence behind a fleet of white oxen decorated in garlands to the square between the Baptistry and Cathedral. The cart, properly rigged with a suitable arsenal of fireworks, awaits a dove-shaped rocket (symbolising the Holy Spirit) from the Cathedral altar which sets off a ferocious dance of fire on impact. In old tradition, a big bang meant a good harvest.
- FAI Spring Days 24 and 25 March 2018 in Florence – guided tours of the Murate
- Florence Bio – From March 23rd to 25th at the Fortezza da Basso in Florence
- The Chocolate Fair – until March 11th in Piazza Santissima Annunziata in Florence
- 3rd March 2018 – Free museums in Florence
- Villa Bardini – FIREWORKS – Feb 24